Anarkali Suits has won the hearts of almost all the women. They are a fusion of rich Indian tradition and modern designs. This ethnic attire flatters every body type if selected according to the body. Check the ultimate anarkali suits buying guide below to help you make the right choice.
Anarkali suits are wardrobe staple of every woman: school girl, a college student, working woman or an old beauty. In fact, an Indian woman’s wardrobe is not complete unless it contains at least one Anarkali suit. Anarkali suits are perfect for every occasion weather it a wedding, festival, family gathering, family dinner, cocktail party or a religious function. This evergreen Indian Ethnic wear are available in different styles, materials and colours so it becomes difficult to choose the right one that suits your personality and body shape & frame. The right selection helps you to camouflage physical flaws of your body. Our timeless fashion guide for anarkali suits will help you pick right Anarkali suit based on your body shape and frame.
Anarkali dress is the best outfit for woman who wants a modern look with a traditional touch. All Bollywood divas are seen wearing Anarkali suits for parties, award functions and other public appearances. Anarkali suits add a royal & classy touch and make you look elegant, mesmerizing & glamorous. They are also extremely easy and comfortable to wear and carry compared to other Indian attires. You can find silk, cotton, georgette, chiffon, velvet, crepe, net, brasso and chanderi anarkali suits in semi stitched, unstitched and stitched forms with embroidery, sequins, brocades, threads, zari, prints and patches.
Types of Anarkali Dresses
- Cotton Anarkali
- Silk Anarkali
- Bridal Anarkali
- Party Wear Anarkali
- Traditional Anarkali
- Designer Anarkali
- Simple Anarkali
- Pakistani Anarkali
Choosing perfect Anarkali for Your Body Shape
Style Tips According to Body Frame
Identify 8 Different Types of Anarkali Suits
1. Cotton Anarkali Suits
Cotton anarkali suits are very comfortable and ideal for casual day and daily wear. They are available in various soothing colours, fresh designs and patterns at reasonable prices. There is no comparison of cotton fabric when it comes to comfort and cost.
Things You Love About Cotton Anarkali Suits
- Cotton anarkali suits are best for summer season
- They are light weight and comfortable
- Available at very affordable prices
- Good for women who have sensitive skin or skin allergies
Things You Hate About Cotton Anarkali Suits
- They shrink after laundry
- Wrinkle easily
- Need ironing
- Colour fades after a few washes.
2. Silk Anarkali Suits
Silk anarkali suits are ideal for wedding, party and family functions. These rich and fancy anarkali suits give you an ultimate royal look and make you different from the crowd. They are very easy to maintain and does not shrink & fade in color. Silk anarkali suits include zardosi, embroidered and mirror work with golden zari & embroidered borders.
Things You Love About Silk Anarkali Suits
- Silk anarkali suits are good for summer and winter
- They allow the skin to breathe.
- Give royal look
- Easy to maintain
- Does not shrink
Things You Hate About Silk Anarkali Suits
- Silk anarkalis are expensive
- They wrinkle easily
- Fade color if dried in sunlight
- Need dry cleaning
- Liquid stains are common on silk
3. Bridal Anarkali Suits
Bridal anarkali suits are very attractive and heavily embellished to make the bride look extremely graceful & stunning on her Big Day. They are decorated with heavy embroidery, stone work, patch work, sequins work, kundan work, zari, etc. for royal touch. You can find bridal anarkali suits in a variety of designs and color combinations.
Things You Love About Bridal Anarkali Suits
- Give you a modern look with a traditional touch
- More comfortable than saree or lehenga
Things You Hate About Bridal Anarkali Suits
- Very expensive
- They are so heavy that a girl can’t wear it at every occasion
- If you go for low range, then material and work will be cheap
4. Party Wear Anarkali Suits
As the name suggests, party wear anarkali suits specially designed with rich fabric, embellishment work, vivacious colour and lovely cut for you be the centre of attraction of any party and function.
Things You Love About Party Wear Anarkali Suits
- Make you stand out of crowd
- Available in all price range
5. Traditional Anarkali Suits
Traditional anarkali suits are adorned with very heavy embroidery work on the choli. They are available in numerous patterns and fabrics like net, georgette, silk, cotton, etc.
- Things you love in Traditional Anarkali Suits
- Rich work
- Long lasting material
- You still love to wear after so many washes
6. Designer Anarkali Suits
Designer anarkali suits are hot favourite among Bollywood celebrities. The extra designer work and embellishments work make them perfect attire for evening parties and wedding ceremonies.
Things You Love About Designer Anarkali Suits
- Make you stand out of crowd
- Available in unique designs and patterns
Things You Hate About Designer Anarkali Suits
- Cannot be worn at every occasion
7. Simple Anarkali Suits
Simple anarkali suits are the best for girls and women to wear on daily basis. They can be worn for travelling, at office and college or while visiting a friend or a relative as they don’t have heavy embellishments or embroidery.
Things You Love About Simple Anarkali Suits
- Best for casual and daily wear
- Perfect for middle income people
Things You Hate About Simple Anarkali Suits
- Not for parties and weddings
8. Pakistani Anarkali Suits
Pakistani anarkali suits are for women those who want something unique and classy. They give a glimpse of Pakistani tradition along with a trendy and gorgeous look.
Things You Love About Pakistani Anarkali Suits
- Give you different look than society
- Available in all prince range
The Most Flattering Anarkali Suits for Your Body Type
Pear (Triangle Upward)
70% of women in India have pear shaped body. Pear shaped women have wider thighs and hips compared to their waist and shoulders. They would look perfect in A-line Anarkalis with more kalis or flare. They can also go for floor length anarkali. Wear boat neck, v shaped, plunging or mandarin neck pattern to highlight the upper body. Kurta with collar or lots of detailing around neck looks great on you. Try to wear two toned dresses: light on the upper body and dark on the lower body to create an illusion of a balanced structure.
Celebrities like Katrina Kaif, Sonam Kapoor, Madhuri Dixit and Parineeti chopra have pear shaped body so you can also take fashion cues from them.
Rectangle (Straight or Athletic)
Rectangle shaped women have the bust and hips about the same size. The waist is slightly smaller compared to the bust and hips. Women with rectangle body shape can wear short, frock style, layered, jacket style, long Anarkali suits. But, anarkali suit with lots of kalis and a huge Ghera will add volume to the look and create some curves. When it comes to neckline, go for wide, deep necklines.
Bollywood divas such as Deepika Padukone, Anushka Sharma, Kareena and Karishma Kapoor have Rectangle shaped body.
Women with hourglass body shape have hip and bust of same size with a narrow waist. Women blessed with hourglass figure can opt for any kind of anarkali suit. Just, make sure to show off the beautiful curves. You can wear high neck or plunging necklines and empire line or waistline anarkali suits. Avoid heavy fabric anarkali suits as they will add extra weight.
Actresses like Priyanka Chopra, Shilpa Shetty, Malaika Arora Khan, Bipasha Basu, Neha Dhupia have an Hour Glass Figure.
Apple (Triangle Downward)
Women with apple-shaped body have a large bust and broad shoulders with rounded tummy and narrow hips. A-line anarkali suits with v-neck lines and wide hemline borders are the best for apple shaped women. You can also try anarkali suit in which flares start from the empirical line instead of waistline. Drape dupatta over your shoulder to divert attention. Avoid boat necks, high necklines, heavy works around the neck and fabrics like brocade or tissue.
Celebrities such as Ayesha Takia, Huma Qureshi, Zarine Khan, Farah Khan, Sonakshi Sinha and Vidya Balan have an apple shaped figure.
Style Tips According to Body Frame
Tall (Height above 5 foot 5 inches)
- Any type of anarkali suits look great on a woman with good height
- Go for empire line or waist line anarkali with lots of flares.
- You can even try anarkali with bold and broad borders.
- Fabrics like chiffon, georgette, cotton and crepe work best for you.
- Layered or Anarkali suits with jackets are also ideal for you.
Petite (Height below 5 foot 3 inches)
- Petite women should wear anarkali that ends above your knees and has kalis & moderate flare.
- Try to wear single colour or two-toned anarkali suit.
- You can also wear V-neck anarkali with sleek borders.
- Avoid fabrics like organza, cotton and silk.
- Short height women should never wear floor-length anarkali suit.
- Slim women can wear most of anarkali styles without any problem.
- Traditional or designer anarkali work best for you.
- Go for Anarkali with medium flare & delicate borders.
- Fabric such as organza and cotton are perfect for you.
- Plump women should opt for moderate flared anarkali suit with kalis starting from the empirical line rather than the waist.
- Wear single and light coloured anarkali suits with short borders.
- Avoid too much flare, kalis and deep neck.
- Fabrics like Chiffons and Georgettes are good for you.
- Half or long sleeves are great way to conceal heavy arms.
- Try dark colours: navy, black, or forest green.